- Cockroaches are active at night.
- Their body is flattened.
- They have two pairs of wings folded flat over their body.
- Most species seldom fly but they walk really fast.
- Their color usually varies from light brown to black.
- The species vary from 2 – 80 mm in length.
- Prefer to have their back touch on a surface while foraging or rest.
Common cockroach species:
- American cockroach, Periplaneta Americana
- 35 – 40 mm
- Shiny reddish to chocolate brown.
- Sewer tanks, drainage area
- The egg case measures 8–10mm in length and contains 16 eggs.
- German cockroach, Blatella germanica
- 10 – 15 mm
- Smallest domestic cockroach in the world
- Light yellowish brown
- The female carries the egg case before it hatched.
- The egg case is light in color which about 7–9mm in length and contains about 40 eggs
- Brown banded cockroach, Supella longipalpa
- 10 – 14mm
- Yellow & brown bands across the body
- The egg case is 4–5mm in length and contains about 16 eggs.
- Undergo incomplete metamorphosis
- Egg -> Nymph -> Adult